Friday, March 15, 2013

Dick's Sporting Goods?

I was watching the World Baseball Classic on MLB Network a few days ago (that's right, I'm one of the three people who watch MLB Network) and saw this commercial for Dick's Sporting Goods...


I HATED it at first. I thought it was much too intense for a Dick's commercial, as they've always had a fun "this is where you buy your equipment from, nothing else" vibe to me. But after seeing this and finding a few more of their more recent commercials like The Glove, I'm starting to see a change in how they present themselves.

This spot successfully captures the intensity that comes from sports. Peter Deming, the man who shot Oz the Great and Powerful, works the camera well, never cutting, but instead using zooms to create a seamless, more realistic perspective. Beginning with a bluff at third, we scan the outfield while immersing ourselves in the sights and background chatter of the game. Following a dramatic check to first, the camera gets a close-up of Texas Ranger's prospect Cody Buckel, about to deliver the deciding pitch at the climax of a symphony of strings.

Dick's is tapping into emotion with it's commercial, which is much deeper and longer lasting than Darrelle Revis screaming his name at me. Its worth a laugh, but nothing more. I'm interested in seeing what else Anomaly comes up with for Dick's Sporting Goods in the future.

Compare these two, the Revis commercial from like three years ago, and The Glove from late last year, to see what I think is the evolution of Dick's. What do YOU think?




No comments:

Post a Comment